Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pains, Strains and other Ailments!

We all get them.  Pains. From running  I have experienced pain in the shins, the feet, the calves, the knees.    From doing weights I have felt pain in my chest, back, arms and butt. Usually that pain comes the next day! But, what happens when the pain comes and doesn't leave after a day?

As I have picked up my running a lot in the past few weeks I have experiences some serious foot pain.  I was diagnosed with tendonitis in my feet years ago. It had to do with weight.  It had to do with standing on my feet all day. It hurt more in the morning getting out of bed. Well, the pain seemed to return with all the running. But now the pain was more than it ever had been.

I did what any of us would do... I googled it! And the more I read, the more scary it got.  I read up on Plantar Fasciitis. It seemed to be exactly what I was experiencing. But, I read more.  Now it seemed like a heel spur. I was having some extreme pain in one area. Kept reading and researching and was thinking I was going to have to stop running, have surgery and get shots of cortisone. I didn't like those choices.


The first thing I tried was this great piece of equipment my gym has.  It is called the prostretch. You can find more info here: Prostretch
Medi-Dyne Pro Stretch
One of the people at the gym showed me how to use it and it was amazing.  It didn't take all the pain away, but it really helped.  

Next, I went to some of my facebook group pages that I have joined. These are groups for those of us who run.  I figured someone there would have advice, right?  Right!  I got some great exercises to try.  Here is a great page with some of them: Foot exercises. They started helping. Alot! 


I decided I was up for some 400's on the treadmill. No problem!  My foot don't seem to hurt at all when I run. ( I should just run all day, huh?)  But that evening I knew I pushed it too far.  I could barely lean on my left foot.  I iced it up.  Did the exercises and went to bed.  


The next morning I had such pain I thought for sure I had a heel spur. Went back to those great facebook groups and was told to buy some heel cups for my sneakers. So, after work and having a hard time keeping up with 10 3 year olds at preschool I ran into Walgreens.  Not only did they have them, they were on sale!  WOOT! I picked some up, went home and tried them on!  And NO KIDDING....the pain decreases by at least 85%!  I couldn't believe it!


It has been a week since the worst pain and I have been doing the exercises, using the prostretch, and wearing the heel cups when not working out and the pain is almost gone.  Mostly just in the morning when I get up. I have diagnosed myself with Plantar Fasciitis and it was a free diagnosis. I think it was just starting to progress to a heel spur and might have if I hadn't tried some of the things I did. 


I am excited that my 5K is only 1 week away!  And as soon as it is over, I plan on finding a 10K and a half to start training for.  The Princess half is my large goal!



No comments:

Post a Comment