Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Today I Finally Admit IT!

I started this post a few weeks ago. At the same time my husband was having a difficult time in his running so I put it on hold. I finally found time to finish it up tonight!


This has been festering in my head for 2 weeks now. It's something I have had a hard time admitting because I have a hard time believing it. But, I feel today I am finally ready to come clean. You ready???

I AM A RUNNER!

Yes! I said it!I have been running for three years now. It hasn't always been pretty, and there have been many breaks in there. When I started I did it to lose weight. But, I don't run to lose weight anymore...although it would be great if I did! I do it because I am amazed at what my body can do. I can run for hours! I can run for miles. I can run in the rain, the sun, the heat and the cold. The freezing cold. I can run up and down hills. I can run on roads, trails, treadmills, paths. I can run my anger away and my stresses away.

When I am not running, I think about running. I think about mileage and races. I think about buying new running shoes and new running clothes. I think about what fuels I need for my next long run. I think about what new races I can sign up for. I think about how far I have come as a runner.

Now, when I am running I think about not running. I think about never running again! Sometimes I think about how many more miles I have to go. Sometimes I think I am crazy.  But sometimes, I do think about new races. And I think about how far I have come as a runner.

This past weekend I ran the longest run ever of my life. 18 miles. I really wasn't sure how I was going to make it. For me, that is just over 3 1/2 hours of running. What other sport out there do you constantly move for 3 1/2 hours? It's crazy! It was a pretty good run, too. I had my running partner for 14 of those miles, so I only had 4 on my own. It was the last 4, but that was okay. Mile 15 and 16 were HARD. I struggled, running up a slight incline the whole 2 miles.I turned around at 16 and the last 2 miles were slightly downhill. And they went fast. I was even thinking about the next race I could sign up for. I was also thinking about how far I have come as a runner.
 
I have realized, over the years, that I don't have to win races, be the fastest, or break records to be a runner. I just have to run. And, my friends, that is exactly what I intend to do.



1 comment:

  1. I love this! I've been thinking about starting- with intervals of walking and jogging and go from there. Thank you for your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete